Many young adults (ages 16-30 years) with Autism Spectrum Disorder require assistance with learning the skills to become independent in daily living. On The Spectrum Therapy Services provides individualized support in acquiring the skills necessary to achieve maximum independence and improved mental health.
Areas of Intervention for an ADULT with ASD may include addressing the following:
- Self-management: Developing schedules, routines, time management, prioritizing, goal setting, determining motivators
- Self-Care: Learning the importance of proper grooming, hygiene, sleep hygiene, nutrition, dental care
- Stress Management: Developing self-awareness, triggers to stress/anxiety, coping strategies, relaxation practices
- Meal Preparation: Meal planning, grocery shopping, budgeting, safe cooking skills, kitchen safety, healthy eating
- Transportation: Learning bus routes, accessing public transit, pre-planning routes, safety awareness in the community
- Social Skills: Learning the impact of behavior on social perceptions, preparing for job interviews, preparing for dating, body language, gestures, eye contact, figures of speech, nuances in non-verbal communication, navigating family dynamics/relationships with family and friends, initiating/maintaining and ending conversations